Sunday, May 6, 2018

Spring is here! ...

And it feels wonderful!

Fiber works are slightly on hold while I tackle the page full of outdoor chores. The only work that got done this past week was warping the loom upstairs for some mug rugs and a bit of a start on the weaving. These are double weave with pickup--to create a pattern. Dressing the loom was quick, the actual weaving not so much as certain warps need to be lifted manually on each pick. This first mug rug is a tester while I learn the actual layout of the warp. There are some mistakes in the pickup and I need to clarify for myself exactly which thread is the first to be picked up in each row.



But my energy is focused on the out of doors right now. I planted some peas, lettuce, mesclun, radishes, and swiss chard this week--all in the ground.

Then I decided I had to renovate the 2 front flower beds. From somewhere, a ground cover crept in and was overtaking everything! I dug out half the first bed today, removing the perennials to other beds--beds I dug last year. As I was working on it, I decided that I would not refill these 2 beds with flowers, but with more vegetables! I am going to need the space, as you can see from my seedlings!

I have potted on many of the seedlings now, but there are still 3 trays to prick out and pot on. I am placing the larger seedlings outside during the day and bringing them in at night now that the temps are well above 50. I'm well pleased with their progress so far.



Top picture, top row, left to right: Hyacinth Bean, Sun Flowers, and Buttercup Squash.
Top picture, bottom row, left to right: Nasturtiums and Sweet Peas, Courgettes (Zucchini; I've taken a liking to the European name)
Bottom picture, under the lights in the bathroom, left to right: Romaine Lettuce, Corn Flowers (in front), Petunias, Carrots, Celery, and Parsnips. These last four need to be pricked out this week!

The Crocuses came and went, and the Daffodils are currently in bloom. So refreshing and joyful:



The excavator arrived today to start work on my driveway. It's going to get a renovation. He'll be taking the top layer of muddy, sandy soil away, filling it with coarse gravel and finishing it with blue stone. But before he finishes it, he'll install a culvert and dig drainage trenches to alleviate the spring flooding of the drive. At the same time, I'm having the "official" driveway shortened from 150' to 75'. The part of the driveway nearest the house will be removed and a couple inches of new loam will be put in. I want to seed it as lawn. Eventually, I will lay 2 brick paths through this lawn to accommodate utility vehicles and such.



I got a new bird!! A big one, made out of scrap metal. It was made by a sculptor in Rumney. A fine addition to the garden:



Speaking of birds, I saw a Northern Flicker this week for the first time ever. It came down to find sustenance in my lawn and garden. Very pretty bird. Unfortunately I did not have my camera with me and I was afraid I would scare it off if I got up.

First bear sighting of the year this week... also on my lawn. It was dark and I didn't bother to snap a pic. Saw a moose on my neighbor's lawn last week. Tall. I love seeing moose; it's exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment