Thursday, December 27, 2018

A block a day ...

... keeps the doctor away? Well I don't know about that! But it is one way to ensure the quilt gets completed in short order. I started making the blocks for my latest quilt on 11/22 and I finished the top on 12/22! 20 days to make 20 blocks and the remaining time to sew the connecting sashing and borders.

This quilt block is called "Picnic In The Park" and is several levels of difficulty below the "Celtic Solstice" that I finished in November. It was a very enjoyable sew, aided in no small part by all the wonderful colors I had to work with. I began with a roll of rainbow colored fabrics, sold as a single fat roll. Each piece was was about a quarter yard. I purchased it because it was pretty--I'm such a sucker for these things!--not knowing what I would eventually make with it. When I saw "Picnic In The Park" in a book I thought it would make a fine experiment to try the rainbow colors on, so I divided the fabrics into groups of 3 similar shades/hues to use in each block. There were enough distinct colors to make 7 different colored blocks. I wanted 10 distinct blocks so I popped on down to the quilt shop and purchased 3 sets of colors to augment what I had. I made 2 blocks in each color, giving me 20 total blocks, enough for a good sized quilt.

Likey, likey!



It is now down at the shop for quilting on the long arm. My "Celtic Solstice" came back from the long arm earlier this week. It looks fabulous! Now I need to put a binding on it and it will be completed. I have another quilt from earlier in the year (or was it last year!?) that still needs a binding so I think I will do that one now as well. When "Picnic" comes back from the shop, that will need a binding too. After those 3 projects are done I think I will tackle quilting the wool applique top I finished earlier this year. It cannot go on the long arm machine because of the wool applique. I practiced hand quilting a bit and realized that it's just not a possibility right now (it would take me forever!), so I'm going to have a go at free-motion quilting on my godmother's Singer Red Eye (thank you so much, Aunt R and P!!! :) ).

After that's all done? Hm. What's next?

No comments:

Post a Comment