Monday, January 1, 2024

Happy New Year!

 

On the 7th day of Christmas, my true love sent to me, seven swans a swimming...

The swan has been on the tree since just before Christmas. On the 8th day, the gift is "maids 'a milking." I just finished her yesterday and she's now on the tree. Her construction was a little more involved than the previous 7. This appears to be the case with the remaining ornaments as well.


I cut out the pieces for the drummers drumming this afternoon and have already embroidered the drum.

It's still Christmastide so it feels perfectly 'in season' to continue making them and hanging them. I may even continue past Twelfth Night, which is Friday, and finish them all this month. I plan to have the tree up for at least a week after Epiphany... there might be just enough time. And if there isn't, I'll either keep the tree up until I'm done, or I'll make them whenever, and pack them away till next Christmas (only 359 days away! 😉 ).

I could swear the light coming in the window this afternoon was at a different angle! Maybe it's simply that we haven't had as many sunny days lately and I'd forgotten what it looks like. But there is no denying the fact that the light is coming back, as imperceptible as it is from day to day.

The neighbors were over the other evening for a game of Scrabble. I didn't win. I figured something retro to snack on would be fun, so I made a batch of 'Nuts and Bolts' (aka 'party mix', 'Chex mix', ...). This is a very good recipe...

10 Tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons seasoned salt
1.25 teaspoons garlic powder
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
.75 teaspoon onion powder
.75 teaspoon thyme

Melt it all together and toss with 11 or 12 cups of the following in proportions that suit your taste: Corn Chex, Wheat Chex, Rice Chex, Cheerios, skinny pretzels, salted mixed nuts. Bake at 250F for 1.5 hours, stirring every half hour. The possibilities for what you add to the mix is pretty open.

It was a big hit and everyone got addicted to it. I had beer to wash it down and everyone went home happy. In a few weeks we go to my neighbors across the street to learn Bridge. We're going to be known as the Groton Bridge Club. LOL.

Do I have any New Year resolutions? I don't usually partake of this ritual, but there are a few items I want to attend to. The first is to read Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations. I should have read it years ago. Oh, well, never too late. I have it on order. The second is arranging to work with a piano teacher/coach on a regular, but not weekly, basis. It helps so much to work with someone. For one thing, it takes one out of oneself and I believe that strengthens the learning experience. For another, an objective pair of ears is invaluable. I got the names of a few contacts while attending the Lakes Region Symphony Orchestra's concert last month in Plymouth. The woman I was sat beside told me to contact the director of the orchestra because he's a piano teacher and he knows others in the area. I'll get in touch with him.

What am I hoping for 2024? Peace, who isn't. It shouldn't be so hard! The preservation of our Democracy. I shudder to think we could be on the cusp of seeing the end of this experiment. No!... Positive thoughts! ... We must persevere.

More personally, I'd love to have a more fruitful vegetable garden, but the fact that I didn't get a greenhouse up before winter means I'll be buying potted seedlings again and that's a crap shoot. I did not concentrate on veggies last year, but this year... yes. There are a myriad of projects on the list and I hope a few of them get crossed out this year.

A channel recommendation... If you love organ music and old churches, Ben Maton's channel, "The Salisbury Organist" is worth checking out. He travels to small churches in England to seek out and play their organs. Very lovely.



From a few years ago... nature doodles


No comments:

Post a Comment