Thursday, September 14, 2017

The latest scarf ...

Over the past few weeks--since the table scarf came off the 8-shaft loom--I've been working on a new scarf to use some yarns I had in my stash. Although I wove it on the 8-shaft, it only required 4 because the patterns are simple twills, with tabby (ground cloth). I reverted to using my old standard front-to-back warping method and it went splendidly. In fact, the entire project was very enjoyable, start to finish.

I had a few warp threads break during the weaving--not unexpected since the warp was a singles yarn, but they were easily repaired.

Some concern as I was weaving because it sunk in that my pattern weft was "superwash" merino, meaning it has been treated so as not to shrink or felt. I worried that the tabby warp and weft--the singles yarn would shrink leaving a loose mess of pattern threads. It did not turn out that way, much to my satisfaction! The final cloth has good integrity.

I bought the superwash last winter as a set of 9 rainbow colors. My desire was to show them off and I think they are given a good treatment in this scarf. It's so pretty I have it hanging up in here! My friend suggested I use it as a table runner in the summer months. :)

10" x 70". 78" including fringe. Wool and superwash wool. A series of twill combinations with a tabby background.


No comments:

Post a Comment