Sunday, October 21, 2018

Cutting the steeks ...

I did it! My first ever steeks are cut open.

I decided to add the securing stitches with my sewing machine, stitch length at 1mm--very small indeed. My steeks were 7 stitches wide making the 4th stitch the middle one--the one that would get cut. To keep things clear in my mind, I ran a piece of white yarn up this stich so there could be no mistaking where I would cut.



I ran 2 lines of machine stitching up and down the 3rd and 5th stitches thereby isolating the impending cut. Since I wanted the feed dogs on my sewing machine to create a consistent 1mm stitch length, I didn't want to lower them out of the way, therefore I placed a sheet of tissue between the feed dogs and the knitting so the knitting wouldn't get tangled in the feed dogs which could end in disaster.



All set for the first line of stitching:



The back side after the 2 lines of stitching. The lines are quite close to each other:



That made it a small task to remove the tissue from between the lines. Tweezers and a porcupine quill did the job:



The machine sewing all in place:



Let the cutting begin!



I used my left hand to ensure that I was only cutting the fabric I wanted cut. I read that some people place a piece of cardboard under the cutting area to make sure it's the only layer to get the scissors, but I trusted my hand better.

With all 3 steeks finished, I laid out the vest and pinned down the yoke so I could get a better look:



All that remains is sewing up the shoulders and knitting the collar band and armhole bands. I discovered that I don't have enough of the dark brown which I used for the waist band to do the yoke bands! I thought I might get some more brown wool and spin it, but I have plenty of spun up white wool so this evening I dyed some of it brown. I didn't have brown dye but with a little testing I discovered that burgandy mixed with half as much teal and a smidge of burnt umber makes a nice deep brown. That yarn is now drying and I should be able to start the final bands this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment