Saturday, September 23, 2023

I got a new bird ... a very old new bird

I found it in an antique shop in an area of VT known as The Northeast Kingdom. I was in the area to pick up an old portable wind-up phonograph that was in shop for restoration. I'd purchased it from a local antique place this summer for next to nothing but the spring was broken. Before heading up north, I had set myself a budget for antiquing: $0 . . . unless I found some small sewing related implement, then I'd get that.

Poking around a tray of brooches I found a Victorian sewing bird. I couldn't believe it! I've wanted one for a while. The fact that the price ($95) was somewhat outside the budget I'd set myself seemed to fly right past me and I picked it up immediately. Rationalizing the purchase was easy-peasy, no struggle there. It was missing the pin cushion and emery cushion (a small cushion used for sharpening pins), but I suspect that's quite common for these old ones. This one is clearly from the era which can be ascertained by the way the beak closes clearly and tightly all the way down the neck. Reproductions, from what I've read, show a large gap in the neck area.

I cleaned it up a bit with Gojo hand cleaner (the one without pumice!). Gojo can be purchased at auto parts stores as it's often used by mechanics. It works wonders for removing dirt and grime from old materials. (Always test!)

I was going to make both a pin cushion and emery cushion as you will see in the video, but in the end I decided to make just the pin cushion for now. I'm not sure I can pull off the emery cushion, and it looks fine without one. However, the emery cushion will probably get crafted at some point.

The main function of these birds is to hold one end of your working fabric in it's beak while you sew--like a third hand. Very nifty, and what's not to love? Sewing! Bird!


. . . I just planted this rose over the summer and it's ending the season with a bang . . . (clicking on picture enlarges)





No comments:

Post a Comment