Friday, September 8, 2023

Late summer flowers and a fabulous chutney recipe

I took a quick stroll around the garden the other day where some surprises are in store for this time of year. The usual late bloomers such as Allium and Heliopsis are gracing the garden with their flowers, but a few roses also popped in for a final greeting even though they are usually done in mid summer. And quite a late Hemerocallis shines brightly in an otherwise winding down bed of ochre and brown foliage.

The Heliopsis helianthoides var. 'Bleeding Heart' is a favorite of mine. The coloring is striking and changes over time from bright orange to rusts. At the moment I have only one of these plants and that needs a remedy, I should have at least three. It grew quite sprawling this year, much to my delight, with more flowers than ever. The bed-to-be wherein it is situated is in a sad state at the moment but with all this summer's rainy days and other projects, it didn't get attended to. Oh well, next spring it is then.

This stand of Great Blue Lobelia (Lobelia siphilitica) was one plant about three years ago! I'm amazed at how it is flourishing. There is enough here to start a whole new bed somewhere... hm. I'm thinking about it.

I'm quite sure this is a Helianthus of some sort (it was given to me and I don't know the exact name). It's a vigorous spreader underground and also pops up remote from the original clump via self-seeding. Luckily, it's pretty easy to pull it back, something much needed almost every year. But a lovely burst of yellow late in the summer.

This Daylily (Hemerocallis) is sharing the spotlight with wild, self-sown Goldenrod, whilst all it's relatives flowered in July/August. A special surprise at this time of year and a fun encounter.

Crabapple berries and rose hips. Really looking forward to harvesting the rose hips. I will make either a syrup or a tea. They are big and bright red this year.



I thought this Rose was done a month ago. How gracious of it to come again.

An annual Sunflower (Helianthus), a towering beacon of lemon yellow. A happy sight.

The Hollyhocks rose to phenomenal heights this year; way, way past my height. It's been exciting to see them reaching for the stars.

Back at the deck, I have this Easter Lily that I purchased at, well, Easter. After it had finished blossoming, I set it outside to soak up the sun over the summer. Much to my surprise, a new shoot appeared and look at it now! Easter Lilies in September! It is a bit disorienting to smell their distinctive, sweet fragrance at this time of year.


Roasted Tomato Chutney

I have to pass along this stellar recipe for roasted tomato chutney. I found it on Kate's second channel (The Last Homely Garden), so I'll post that and you will find the link for the written recipe in her video discription. It's absolutely scrumptious! I made a batch this afternoon, and even though the recipe states it is better after a week, I couldn't wait. Had some with a wonderful aged Irish Cheddar and crackers. Oooh, oooh, ooh. Yum! I'll be making this a lot. (I put olive oil in the roasting pan, and drizzled a bit on the tomatoes so they wouldn't stick.)



No comments:

Post a Comment