Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Applique blocks and a new scarf

 


My great wheel spinning is turning into a scarf. A very simple stockinette and garter stitch country scarf. I'll call it my "homesteader." I like the way the color bands are interplaying with the bands of garter stitch and stockinette. It's all random, none of the color was planned and I let the plying add even more randomness. I am being predictable with the stockinette/garter bands though, 12 rows of stockinette, 4 garter bumps (8 rows).


The first square of the new quilt is done, finished it this morning. Looks great. Twenty-nine more blocks to make, each one different.


Promptly got started on block number 2. Experimenting with different embroidery stitches, expanding my horizons. For these curly stems I tried whipped backstitch. Cool.


Picking colors is always great fun. Now I can add the fun of picking embroidery stitches. Up until now I've used only a handful of different stitches.

I'm altering the patterns slightly by getting rid of sharp pointed ends (like leaf tips) and making them rounded. This is because I don't use glue or sticky products when I sew and/or quilt. It just goes against my aesthetic I guess. If Fray Check is used then the points won't ravel so that works. But I don't want to do that so I round the points off. Unless the wool is resistant to fraying, then I'll leave the points be. Still looks good to my eyes and I feel better about not using glues.

I also don't use glue for positioning. Pins and/or basting are my preference.




No comments:

Post a Comment