Sunday, March 10, 2024

Needle and thread

 


I think we're having an early spring. The temperatures last week were mild, reaching the mid-50s one day. The stove sat un-stoked 2 or 3 days until evening time.  A lot of snow melted, so much so that great swathes of bare ground were uncovered. Then, last night, we got over 6" of new snow. But we had highs in the 40s today and a great deal has already melted. This week's weather looks similar to last week's, so yeah, I think we're having an early spring. Fine by me.

When so much of the yard lay bare this week, the scope of my spring cleanup became apparent. I will have my work cut out for me, for a good month.

Most of my fiber activity this week centered around needle and thread. I have 3 more blocks completed for my new quilt. They are all roughly sized at the moment and need to be trimmed down to 10.75" square before the final construction happens.

I went upstairs to look for my special block ruler last week and couldn't find it. I know I came across it in the not too distant past; seems like it was in one of the boxes of fabric scraps because I remember my reaction when I saw it there. One possibility is that I left it where it was thinking I'll know where it is when I want it. The other possibility is I moved it to the bin that contains sewing related objects. But I'm not even sure that the box of fabric scraps is where I actually saw it. I checked all my fabric boxes and the sewing bin to no avail.

This happens all too often. I put something "away" for safe keeping but subsequently forget where that place is! It might be that my 'filing' system is faulty. Or it might be that I have so many supplies. Or it might be that I don't have enough space. Or it might be all of the above. At any rate, it's still missing. I've looked everywhere it "should" be and it ain't there.

The three newly finished blocks:




I also had a bit of time with the knitting needles. The scarf is longer. I will need to spin some more in order to finish it. I'm thinking 70" would be a good length. Getting close. I really do love this yarn, it's one of my favorite yarns I've ever spun. With the weather being what it is, this scarf will be for next winter.


I have another YouTube channel recommendation. Marion's channel is absolutely fantastic. She's so delightful and utterly creative. She continually astounds me.




No comments:

Post a Comment