Monday, March 18, 2024

Wool applique process - step by step

 


The first row of blocks for the new quilt is appliqued. So far so good.


Moving on to the next block, I thought I would go through the steps of how wool applique is done--at least how I do it.

Step 1. Get out the box of wool and pick colors for the new block. This is one of the most fun parts of the project.



Step 2. Trace the pattern pieces onto the dull side of freezer paper (not the waxed side). I use a light table that I found at the thrift store.

Step 3. Cut out the individual pieces, leaving a margin.


Step 4. Place the pieces waxed side down on their respective wool pieces and press them with an iron, without steam, for about 5 seconds. The wax will melt and adhere the patterns to the wool.




Step 5. Cut out each piece following the drawn pattern lines.


Step 6. I like to do a color check at this point just to make sure I haven't created something awful. The placement is rough, this is just to check the overall look. On this block, I've only cut out the pieces for one of the flowers because I'm not sure if I want each petal to be an individual piece, or, as I've done here, group some of the petals together. I think it's going to look better with grouped pieces, but I want to sew one before deciding on the others.


Step 7. Trace the bones of the design onto tracing paper. Only the lines for embroidery and perhaps some other placement points--which I may or may not use. I will definitely use the embroidery lines.


Step 8. Fold the blank square and finger press both vertical and horizontal centers to get the center point. Since I work with oversized blocks, it doesn't have to be exact.


Step 9. Rub the back of the tracing paper with chalk--only the parts I want marked on the fabric at this stage. Blow across the chalked back to remove excess chalk. Then I place the tracing paper, chalked side down on the fabric and trace the lines needed for embroidered stems or other parts that will be worked on at this stage.



Step 10. The chalk lines will not be rigorous enough to withstand much embroidering and/or applique so I go over the lines with a fine point Bohn chalk pen. The square is now ready for embroidery.



In my next post, I'll go over the steps involved in appliqueing the wool pieces on the square.


No comments:

Post a Comment