Monday, August 26, 2024

Borders

 


The borders for the quilt are being appliqued but I've run out of perle cotton for the stems. So even though two borders are appliqued, one is missing half it's stems. I'll continuing to applique while waiting for new perle cotton.


The finish line is coming into view now. I still have not sewn any blocks together but there's plenty of time.

This month has flown by!

Zucchini and cucumbers and tomatoes are coming out of the garden now and it all tastes so fresh and real. Luckily, there's a farm in Rumney, only 15-20 minutes down the road, that sells home grown produce; a great place to pick up fresh eggplant, peppers, corn, etc., etc. that I don't grow in my own garden.

The car needed to have a new rear brake line built and installed last week. Ugh. Would that cars were unnecessary!

Next week I'll start stacking wood to get ready for a new delivery in October.

I had to do some work in my piano a few weeks ago. I spoke to my technician about it before hand to make sure it was something I could manage on my own. The felt rings (called punchings) under the keys, in the center of each key where it pivots, were quite deteriorated and needed replacing. Along with the felt punchings are paper rings (called paper punchings!) under each felt that adjusts the height of the key. There can be none to many paper punchings under each key, depending on how much it needs to be lifted. The punchings come in various thicknesses from .003" to quite thick.

If the papers had had to be replaced the job would have entailed a lot of work to level all the keys, but I only replaced the felts and left the existing papers in place. Hence I ended up with just one key that needs height adjustment, by a minute amount. (I haven't done it yet since it's in a very high register and isn't off by much.) That happened because I found 2 stray papers and didn't know where they belonged.


I am glad to have had this experience. It felt empowering and I learned quite a lot about my piano.

Work on the melodeon proceeds but now waits until I can obtain some leather to replace the flaps that cover the holes between the bellows and exhaust bellows, both inside and outside. The one on the inside is quite deteriorated and not keeping a good vacuum. The one on the outside has mouse damage. Otherwise, the reed chambers have been cleaned out and they all work. It turns out one of the reeds is missing! It's a C, in the higher registers, so hopefully it won't interfere with too much music making. I'll have to improvise when that key is needed. I don't know if I'll ever be able to find a replacement for it.

I decided to start work on a needlepoint kit that I purchased at the thrift shop a few years ago. It is very unlikely I'll finish it this year, but it's fun to work on holiday crafts leading up to Christmas, and I'll be able to enjoy the finished work next year (hopefully!).


I feel like I want to be knitting something. I'll have to look at my list of favorite patterns to see what I might be able to cast on.




3 comments:

  1. Those borders are sweetly and simply lovely.

    Congratulations on learning more about your piano’s innards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the borders too! The blocks--some of them--are quite busy, so the simple border helps establish harmony I think. And thanks!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete