Sunday, September 22, 2024

Making Valances for the Living Room

One of the projects I wanted to get to after the quilt top was done is new valances for the living room windows; three of them. The windows in my house are not standard size, they are squat and wide at 44.5" wide by ~41" tall, measuring from outer edges of trim. There's a bit more than a foot of wall space above the windows, and in the living room there are beams above that, abutting the ceiling. To give the illusion that my windows are taller, I've been meaning to make valances that hang from the bottom of the beams to just below the tops of the windows. Adhered to mounting boards with hook and loop tape, the effect should be clean and effective. The mounting boards can be screwed to the underside of the beams.

Mounting board in place with hook and loop tape stapled to the edge

A few weeks ago I went shopping and found a suitable fabric of good weight, on sale for $5/yard. Four yards gave me enough for the three windows plus a new curtain for the bird room window. Getting all matchy-matchy. I also found some gold fringe on clearance--to add just a bit of bling to the bottoms of the valances. All-in-all, not a big expense.

The mounting boards protrude 3" from the wall so I sewed a 3" border onto each side of the valances. Since I don't have a serger, the seams were done in the French style, except for where the seams fall within the hems; they were simply butterfly pressed open.


The spot where the top and bottom hems meet the French seam were simply clipped almost to the sewing line so they could be pressed open. I sewed double hems for top, bottom, and sides by hand, using chevron stitch.


Then I sewed the fringe to the bottom edge and hook and loop tape to the top edge (before turning the hem) using the 1940s White Rotary machine.


The above picture is the first valance I made, and I sewed the hook and loop tape in the wrong place. It was supposed to be at the very top edge. Next time I'm in the shop I'll get more hook and loop tape and re-do this one, but it's OK for now.

The effect is just what I wanted.


You can see how this one is sitting a little too high because the hook and loop tape is in the wrong place.

I like them so much, and I found an eight yard bolt of fabric at the thrift shop the other day, so now I'm making 2 valances for the dining room as well. $15 for 8 yards of good quality, heavy fabric, what a bargain!







No comments:

Post a Comment