Friday, September 27, 2024

New projects

Moving on from the quilt, albeit it needs quilting as does last year's, and they will be started soon. But for smaller projects, there are a handful to work on this autumn before the holidays come around. Three of them are wool appliques and one is crazy quilting.

But first, I've finished the two valances for the dining room and I think the fabric looks good.  These are entirely hand sewn. The second will be hung tomorrow as I had to run to the store this afternoon to purchase a curtain rod.


I made a mistake when designing this one and will need to make an adjustment to it. I forgot to take into account that the rod for the valance juts out a few inches from the wall, hence this one is about an inch or two too narrow. This was not an issue in the living room because I attached the valances to mounting boards and calculated for the depth of the boards. It will be easy enough to add more width to this one, and since the fabric is striped, the seam can be placed at the edge of a stripe and will be practically invisible.

First up, a Christmas table runner from a pattern I've had for a number of years. The pattern is called "Snowman for Hire Table Runner" from Primitive Gatherings. Progress goes quickly on this one.


Second, a Christmas ornament pattern I purchased last year called "Olde Saint Nicholas" from Jerome Thomas Designs. I have cut all the pieces but won't start stitching until the table runner is done.

Thirdly, a pillow pattern I bought probably five years ago. It's called "Gifts of the Season" by Jerome Thomas Designs. These wool pieces are all cut out as well and the project is in queue for after the ornament is finished.

Fourthly, I've decided to take the four unfinished crazy quilt blocks I started a few years ago and finish them, sew them together and make a large pillow from them. There's a bit more embroidery I'd like to do on two of them, but this pillow should be finished this fall as well.



Besides those projects, I'm spinning quite a bit in preparation for a 10am - 3pm demonstration I will be doing next weekend at a nearby town's fĂȘte. I'll have my great wheel, my castle wheel, my kick wheel, a few spindles, and my Indian charka for spinning cotton. I've never done a stint like this before; it should be fun.







Finally, I'm working on the pump organ, aiming to get it put back together before the holidays.

Before cleaning the stop works and top of the reed chamber (ugh)...


After cleaning (much better)...



HAPPY AUTUMN!

No comments:

Post a Comment