Thursday, March 1, 2012

Knitwise... handspun fingering sample

I knit up this sample today using some of the yarn I am in the midst of spinning. The lovely merino in shades of blue and the gorgeous reds from Spinner's Hill. I think they look quite pretty together. I could tell from knitting this sample that the merino is too soft to try putting through the rigors of card weaving. It would fray into nothing in no time I'm afraid.

(I'll post about charting the instructions as written in the book, into graph form sometime this weekend. It makes knitting so much easier.)

The good news is that this sample is a partial answer to the question of what I will do with this yarn. I'm going to make sets of coasters! Knitting just 1 motif of the mosaic pattern ("Double Medallion") makes a square just about the right size. I will pick up around the edge and either knit or crochet a border. Then I'll find suitable frames so I can put them under glass. I'll think they'll make splendid coasters. The pattern has 2 motifs really, one that is outlined in blue, and one that fills the space in between. Knitting 2 of each will make a nice set. Handspun coasters! Yippee!
While I had the camera out I snapped a picture of what I'm doing with the tablet woven band I made in December. All I need is a few closures to attach to the end clamps and a lovely little wrist band it will be. I think I can manage to get 3 out of the length I wove...
After cutting the band I used "liquid stitch" on the cut to seal it before crimping the ribbon clamps on. It's all nice and secure.

2 comments:

  1. Spendid, indeed! The colours in the coasters were meant for each other
    Such a great idea and in beautiful handspun.

    ReplyDelete