Sunday, January 11, 2015

Red cloth ...

The cloth that stood still. Honestly, it was on the loom for months and I simply was not making progress. It was a most uninteresting material to weave, for reasons I cannot quite fathom. My suspicion falls on the fact that every row was doubled, in other words, every treadle was used two times in a row with a shot of tabby in between. The effect was to make it seem twice as slow to weave as would be otherwise. That's the only thing I can think of.

At any rate, it's off the loom and I made enough for a vest. Indeed, it's an attractive material. Shown here draped over my Pfaff sitting on my prized 1910 Singer. (Thank you Aunties. :))


On a New Year's Eve visit to my neighbor (the woman I purchased my house from) I was introduced to a program called Local Foods Plymouth, an ingenious set up whereby we can browse the web site and place an order for locally raised and grown produce, meats, dairy, baked goods, confections, etc. The window for ordering is Sun. to Wed. and pickup day is Thurs. at the local UPS store (in the summer, pickup is at the farmer's market). I'm calling it "armchair farmer's market" and it's fabulous! I just love it.

I placed my first order last week, and seeing how the meat is locally and humanely raised, I requested a pound each of ground beef and pork (also on my list was some delicious granola, a dozen eggs, and some cheese). Today I made tourtiere. Yes, it's post-holiday but "better late than never" couldn't be more true! Oh my my, the house smelled good while it was simmering down over the course of 3 hours. The pie is delicious of course. Ooooh, I do love these.


The day ends on a good note seeing how I got the kitchen sink unclogged earlier in the evening. It clogged up last night and I couldn't budge it. Very hot water, baking soda, vinegar, and a plunger finally did the trick.

3 comments:

  1. What a delicious looking tourtière!!! Can smell and taste from here!! Old family recipe?
    That fabric will make an eye catching vest. Glad you kept at the weaving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jak, I can't remember where this recipe comes from! Don't know if I pieced it together from several or if it was something I found. It's utterly delish. Here's the recipe -- except that a tsp. of sage (or so) and a celery stalk were left out because I didn't have them! Use whatever broth you like (24 oz.), I use vegetable broth that goes by the name "better than boullion".

      Brown 1 lb. ground beef and 1 lb. ground pork in a large pot. Add 1 large onion diced, 1 large potato diced, 3 cloves garlic minced, 1 Tbsp. allspice, 1 Tbsp. vegetable "Better than Bouillon", 24 oz. water. Simmered 3 hours on low heat. After a few hours I start adjusting the flavor with salt & pepper. Most of the liquid should evaporate. Made crust (2 c flour, 6Tbsp butter, 6Tbsp crisco, 6 Tbsp water). Assemble and bake the pie for 35-40 min. at 375 degrees.

      Delete
  2. Thanks sooooooooo....very much for your recipe, Bernard. I think we'd like to give it a go... I've always wanted to learn how to make pastry. I'll get Barbara to help me with that! Your recipe is very much like a traditional French Canadian tourtière.

    ReplyDelete