Monday, January 2, 2017

Winter ...

In all it's glory. We--those who shovel the driveways, decks, and walkways--have been fortunate that the season's snowfalls--so far--have been light, fluffy, powdery ice crystals.

I have learned that the trick to shoveling the driveway is to have an arsenal of approaches; a battery of physical positions that one can switch into and out of frequently so as to vary stresses on the body. And most successful of all are the variations that allow workouts on contrary motions. So I can now switch between left and right dominant motions, over or under grasps, shoulder or hip workouts in a way that doesn't get me all tired out before I reach the end of the driveway. I suppose this awareness stems from the time I spent taking Alexander Technique lessons. To be sure, shoveling the drive is an aerobic exercise, and with a little mindfulness can employ the whole body in a balanced workout instead of a grinding, dangerously repetitive routine. Mind you, I'm not glorifying shoveling! I'd just as soon stay in and knit. But if one must shovel, it behooves us to do so in a way that is most beneficial! Honestly--if one's going to work that hard, let there be some benefit to it! :)

But it sure is beautiful ... our most recent storm ...


No comments:

Post a Comment