Saturday, June 16, 2018

More productivity ...

I don't want to gloat, but the past few weeks have seen a spurt of activity around here. The rhubarb crop motivated me to do some preserving, as you saw in my last post. I have since been enjoying the rhubarg/orange jam on english muffins and it is very good indeed. I dare say it's my favorite jam at the moment.

The patch of mint out back has been bursting upwards bigly and it further fostered this preserving groove I'm on, so I took advantage of it. I made some apple/mint jelly and because the recipe sounded so very delicious--and I had some maple syrup on hand--I made some maple/walnut sauce. There was a little of the sauce left over and I placed it in a jar and tucked it in the fridge. A day later I sampled it and it almost made me faint, it's that good. I can imagine it on crepes or pancakes or ice cream, oh yes!



This past week saw my first radish harvest and I'm now also enjoying lettuce and mesclun out of the garden. Almost everything is now planted and as soon as the radishes are done, I'll replace the space with carrots.



This is a glorious time of year for flowers. The siberian irises are exploding in all their royal beauty, the new peony I purchased is opening some blossoms, the large rose bush I inherited is gracing the yard with it's heady perfume, and jack is snug in his pulpit.



Quite a few of the big yard tasks have been completed. Today I started a new compost heap, and worked on digging out the last bed overgrown with bishop's weed. The grass I seeded in my new lawn in the space given up by my way-too-long driveway is growing, albeit not thick enough in some places. I spread more seed yesterday and I was given advice this afternoon to purchase some perennial rye seed and put some of that in as well. It had been getting too dry here so I was watering every morning and evening. Less so now that we have had some rain. More rain forecast for Monday.

Knitting continues at a good pace on the advent scarf I'm making. Now on day 19 (of 24). It should be done soon. I've started to itch for quilting again, so when the scarf is done I may get back to the sewing machine.

A big change on the cello front: I am changing teachers to find someone more local. It had become difficult to get in-person time with my teacher, and after being held up in traffic for an hour and a half on my way to my lesson the last time I was in NY a few weeks ago (it should have taken 20 minutes!), I managed to arrive a half hour late. So I've seen him in person a total of 30 minutes in the past 5-6 months. Not enough. It's no one's fault, but circumstances. I'm not travelling to NY quite as often as I was, so if I miss him while there, it takes it's toll. So I'm going to be switching to the cello teacher at the Upper Valley Music Center where I participate in the orchestra and various classes. I know him already having taken cello choir classes with him, and a few private lessons as well. A new chapter opens. There is sadness and excitement all at the same time.

Last night was the opening of this year's Hanover Street Chamber Music Festival and I've been assigned to Mendelssohn's Piano Quartet No. 1. Very beautiful.

Progress is being made on both cello and piano and I'm hoping to play in the next UVMC salon. Not sure when that is, but I suspect sometime this fall. I have it in mind to play Chopin's Db Major Nocturne. It is divine:



On cello I've been working on Bach's 3rd Suite. Challenging. But good.

No comments:

Post a Comment