Sunday, June 3, 2018

The gardens ... an update ...

But first a quick note that UVMC's fundraiser of which I wrote last time, raised $100,830! That will take another nice bite out of the mortgage. Thanks to all who contributed.

I have been almost overwhelmed these past 4 weeks with spring yard work and garden preparations. I managed to get out early--right after the snow had melted and before the black flies made their itchy appearance. During that window of opportunity I was able to clear some brush and brambles above the house, and start tidying up that part of the property. As soon as I could, I got one of the raised beds ready in preparation for cool weather crops: peas, lettuces, radishes, chard. They all got planted and are doing quite well. I tasted a lettuce this afternoon and it was beautifully tender and full of fantastic flavor. It won't be long before I can go out to pick my salads.



The Egyptian onions at the end of that bed are growing like weeds. Moreso this year since I did not harvest any last fall.



Shortly after getting the bed sowed, I turned my attention to the other large raised bed in which my strawberries have been spreading for the past few years. It was a shambles, full of weeds and crowded with strawberry plants. So I emptied the entire bed, carefully lifting the strawberry plants aside and keeping them under shade while I got rid of all the weeds and refurbished the soil. I should have taken a before picture, but it is all nice and tidy now. I gave a slew of plants to my neighbor.



Besides the 2 large raised beds, I also have 2 in-ground perennial beds that I dug the 2nd year I was here. They have both become overrun by an aggressive ground cover called "Bishops Weed". I decided to empty both beds, move the perennials to beds I dug last year and use the freed up space--sans Bishop Weed--for more vegetables. My tomatoes and red onions are in one and there is space left for more; perhaps I'll sow carrots in there as well. I have not finished clearing out the other bed: Hope to finish that this coming week and put some cucumbers in it.

Just this afternoon I got some corgettes and buttercup squash in the ground, they are plants I started from seed. The weather forecast for the next 3 days includes rain and I'm pleased to see it as we have started getting a bit dry. Also, the water from my well has a tendency to cause potted plants to go yellowish. I don't know why. I've tested the water for pH and it's almost neutral. I'm thinking of having it lab tested. One project on my list is to attach gutters to one side of my house to catch rain water. I'd love to have a rain barrel for watering my plants. But if I do it, I'll want to make sure I can remove the gutters in the fall as I don't think it's best to leave them on during our winters here.



The crabapple I planted last year was in bloom a week or so ago and it was very pretty indeed. Most happy to see it survive the winter.



I purchased a cherry plum tree a while back and it is still waiting for me to put it in the ground. I haven't fully decided where to put it yet! It self pollinates, but I may get another one anyway. I'd also like to get some blueberry bushes. I would absolutely love to have red currants but they are now prohibited in NH. Big bummer. My grandmother used to have some next to a stone wall near the road. I loved them. I was given a honey locust tree a few weeks ago. We had one when I was a child. The scent of the flowers is to die for! Don't think mine will blossom this year, but I hope it does so next year. My cherry plum:



I started this rose bush 3 years ago from a single 5" leaf cutting! It has light pink/lavender double blossoms, most pretty with an old fashioned look. It's doing well, knock on wood. I lost one of my roses bushes over the winter, it didn't pull through. But the other 5 made it and I'm looking forward to their gorgeous blossoms.



This rose is the first to open on one of the bushes I inherited on the property. The scent in one blossom is stupendously beautiful, one of the best rose scents to be found. I love this bush and these pretty heady little flowers. Speaking of heady, the Lilacs have been in bloom for over a week. Another of my favorite spring scents.



The man who rebuilt my driveway finished over a week ago. He did a nice job and I'm pleased. Starting last week I was using a shovel to break up the new compacted loam on the section of old driveway that I'm turning to lawn. I then went over the broken up loam with a hoe to break it up even more, and ended with a pass through with the rake to create a crumbly soil in which--hopefully--grass seed will feel at home. I finished working it yesterday, then fertilized it, seeded it and watered it. I watered it 3 times today as it was a bright, breezy, warm day. Rain is in the air for the next 3 days so I don't think I'll have to water it during that period.



I've been spending hours in the gardens and yard! It can be difficult to hide the fact that I've just come in from garden work.

No comments:

Post a Comment