Monday, November 20, 2023

A New Door

First snow on October 30, 2020

We are predicted to get our first substantial snow fall of the season tomorrow evening, 4"- 8". I planted my tulips bulbs today and set a rose back in the ground in a new location. The rose was dug up a few weeks ago and it sat covered until I finally got to it. Tomorrow I will need to get the deck cleared and all outdoor living furniture under cover.

I made a terrible mistake with last spring's tulips which I dug up some weeks back. After they'd sat in the sun to dry the earth that still clung to them, I put them in a bucket and forgot about them. Sadly, I discovered this afternoon that fungus had set in and most were softening and spoiling. Oh dear. Lesson learned. I salvaged some of them but most had to be tossed upon the compost pile. Luckily, I had 24 new tulip bulbs that were ordered this summer and they went in. Looking forward to some 'Apricot Beauty' and WFF Perennial Pink next spring.

With the very generous help of my neighbor, there is now a new door leading to the back yard from the entry room. Yay! I'm very glad it happened. I did most of the demolition myself and was feeling confident that I'd be able to get the new door in myself, but upon hearing my drill and saws, my neighbor came over and went right to work. Most, most thankful. He built the stairs for me and all I need to do now is frame the door on the outside.

Wow, what a convenience! I used the new route this evening to bring in wood for the evening and it was a true luxury to be so close to the door. There's a wood bin in the entry room that I can fill which saves me from having to go outside if I'd rather not venture into the cold. I have to say, though, many is the evening when I look forward to going out to the wood pile at 11pm, or so, just to take in the beauty of moonlit nature. It's magical.



There wasn't much sewing this week. I finished the golden ring, and cut out the pieces for the 'geese-a-laying' and that's it.




Happy Thanksgiving!



No comments:

Post a Comment