Tuesday, November 14, 2023

More construction

 

Pudding cake just come out the oven... yum!

Recipe for the pudding cake: Chocolate Pudding Cake

The latest construction project, which I'm attempting on my own, is replacing a window in the entry/shed room with a door. As you can see from this picture, I've already removed the window and just beyond is the end of the wood shed. Putting a door here will allow me to exit the kitchen, turn sharp left and out the door for quick access to the wood. That will save me from having to clear a path through the snow all the way around the shed.


I found a pre-hung door at the local Habitat for Humanity for just $100 (edge of it is visible on left of picture). Today I took measurements and decided what I need to do next. My neighbor has offered to help if I need it... thankful for good neighbors. I hope to have this done by end of week and then I'll have to do something about stairs outside. May opt for a temporary solution this winter and deal with the stairs in the spring.

I made three potpourri with the materials I gathered from the garden. All experimental, so I did not make great quantities. I used powdered orris root as a fixative. A scant tablespoon for each, to which I added drops of essential oils to create the scents. This was mixed with the dried material and is now in air tight containers under the desk in the dining room to 'cure' until Christmas time. The following one will likely be my favorite. It's scented with balsam and Christmassy aromas. The tiny pine cones are not from my garden.


This one is quite appropriately scented with Arabian rose oil. I purchased the vial of oil many, many years ago in Boerum Hill, Brooklyn. A deep, sensuous scent. Some of these petals may have come from bouquets that I allowed to dry out. The purplish flowers are fuchsias and the small yellow ones are 'Tête-à-tête' daffodils.


Finally, the last one is scented with a mixture of 4 oils to create a light, flowery aroma. I need to work on the formula a bit. When I get it down, I'll post my recipe.


The last of the Beatrix Potter characters is done! Tom Kitten is the eighth and final pattern in the set I purchased. I need to find a small straw hat for him. In the meantime I've used a small round straw 'cap' that I had in a set of doll house accessories. I do have a pattern for Peter Rabbit and will make him too, but first I want to get on finishing the Twelve Days of Christmas ornaments I started last year: I had made days 1 through 4.


All eight characters are done and boxed until the tree is put up in December.


At work on day 5 of the 12 days, a golden ring:


I need to get in the garden this week and plant my tulip bulbs! Luckily, it's warming up and will be comfortable for the task by end of week.

I think I'll do a post soon about the music I'm working on.





No comments:

Post a Comment