Thursday, November 2, 2023

Pantry is done


The first fire of the season. Lit it three nights ago and it was allowed to go out during the following day. I re-lit it the following night and last night as well, but today I continued to stoke it as it was only in the 30s most of the day. There is nothing like radiant heat; so enveloping and soothing. It makes me happy.

The Tailor of Gloucester is almost finished. I just need to secure his glasses and attach a small bell or bead to his tail!


Only one character remains: Tom Kitten.

The pantry is done! Almost... I want to get some shelf paper for the shelves. I have some very pretty vintage paper but I'd rather preserve it than use it. My neighbor suggested photocopying it and using the copies. I may do that if they can copy it down at the UPS store. What I have is one long strip. I have a printer, and I could scan a portion and repeat it, but home printer ink has become prohibitively expensive.


I'm also going to paint a little decorative border along the partition that separates the broom closet from the pantry. As you can see in the picture below, I took some space on the right side of the original pantry to make a broom closet as I did not have one. The pantry shelves are now narrower, but since I put five of them on euro glides I was able to place them closer to each other. Originally, there were five shelves, now there are seven with room to grow on the bottom. I'm quite pleased with how my DIY turned out. The gliders were a challenge, especially since the walls aren't entirely straight. I put a motion sensitive light on the ceiling within to help illuminate what was once a very dark space.

The partition between pantry and broom cupboard was constructed with wood that was removed from the living room this summer; the shelves are the original ones that I cut to size and supplemented with a few pieces left over from past projects; the paint was also leftovers from a previous project. The only things I purchased for this make-over were the euro glides and some construction screws.


Happy November!



No comments:

Post a Comment