Sunday, February 6, 2011

Hooker me... using up leftovers

I'm waiting for some new linen with which to start my recycled shirt project and yesterday I remembered a scrap of linen left over from my last project. The scrap is just enough for a small (12" x 24") rug and today I drew a harvest theme on it. It'll keep me busy for a while. I was reminiscing with my Aunt last weekend about the Grange ( The Grange ) which we both belonged to in our youth and so it's not surprising Ceres (Demeter to the Greeks) would be part of my brain wave. I haven't drawn a border yet but it's going to be very basic.



The design appears in "A Treasury of Needlework Designs" by Martha Rogers Zimiles, (c) 1976 by Litton Educational Publishing, Inc. (ISBN 0-442-29584-7) from which I copied it freehand with a few of my own alterations. This book is a fabulous resource. Originally written for needlepoint and embroidery, I think every single pattern in the book is suitable for adaptation as a rug. It's worth looking for.

I will attempt to use as much leftover wool as possible but I'll have to purchase some for the backgrounds.

By the way, the Grange's motto is:
In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity.
That's the sort of thing that a youngster like myself wouldn't pay a whole lot of attention to at the age when I was going to the Grange. But reading that now I think it's definitely worth a second thought. Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment