Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Hooker me ... recycled shirts

I cleaned out my closet last weekend and in so doing I got the inspiration for my next hooked rug. Several shirts no longer fit me (!? it's inexplicable... it's like they shrank!) so I pulled them out and left them in a pile on the living room floor all week. Yesterday I took the scissors to them and salvaged some wonderful--mostly cotton--fabric. I tore a strip from each and hooked the following palette. I'm going to hook a round rug for the small hall in front of the bathroom and want to do florals. My palette is short on yellows, oranges and greens so I stopped at the thrift store on my way to work today and picked up a few tee shirts. I'm excited and ready to start hooking as soon as I order some more linen backing. This will be very different from my last rug which was all wool, very evenly cut. This rug will be hooked in .5" to .75" widths, inspired by Kaffe Fassett's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment