Sunday, September 16, 2012

Weave wise... guest towel... bag

I finished weaving the towel on Friday. Took it off the loom Saturday, wet finished it, ironed it, and hemmed it using my sewing machine. I am very shaky around the sewing machine, it intimidates me. Should take some lessons.

At any rate, the cloth came out the right width! Hurray! I'm going to hand sew the trim onto the towel. Haven't done that yet, but it is pinned in place. Will get to the sewing sometime this week. Here's what it looks like pinned up. I like it (though I think I will adjust the placement of the trim a little bit):

Since I had the sewing machine all set up, I sewed together a piece of fabric I wove earlier this year using handspun alpaca from a woman in NH. It didn't produce a very large cloth, but this little bag will be quite handy hung by the loom. I'm going to use some left over band that I card wove ealier this year to make a handle for it. The colored stripes in the bag are yarns that I handspun using some Churro that I processed from raw wool. A gift from a high school friend of mine, also in NH.

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Catherine! I need to make friends with my sewing machine. :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What kind of sewing machine is it? Might have some suggestions for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. crafty1, It's a cheapo, pretty basic, Brother. Has half a dozen zig-zag stitches plus straight stitching. Nothing fancy, but still I've not much experience with sewing machines. Perhaps I can get a few pointers next time I visit. ? :) P.S. Will write soon, re: NY Sheep & Wool...

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful towel, lace and weaving go really well together. Almost too lovely to use. :)
    Seeing that handspun in the bag makes it special!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, jak. I have every intention of putting it to use! :)

      Delete