Saturday, March 19, 2011

Hooked... An antique edging

Well this is my first blog about crochet--a word I invariably have to look up for spelling, especially the past tense version!

I am fascinated by thread crochet. When I was a teenager I dabbled with it a bit. I remember a doily of sculpted pansies! Ha! These days my tastes lean more towards linen pieces that are edged with crochet instead of all-crochet doilies, and I am especially fond of filet crochet. Still, there are some doilies I would certainly make.

I'm currently working on an antique edging that I found at the online Antique Pattern Library. If you haven't visited this site, run, don't walk! ( http://www.antiquepatternlibrary.org/completelist.htm ) It's a treasure trove of patterns from the 1800s and early 1900s. They include needlepoint, embroidery, tatting, knitting, crochet (of all sorts including filet and Irish crochet), and more. Even a booklet on how to make crepe paper flowers and lampshades!

I'm in the early stages of this edging and will apply it to a piece of linen which will also feature embroidery and inserts. I'll be on it for a while but doing one motif is a lovely way to spend 20 minutes or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment