Weaving: I resleyed the warp that was left on the loom from weaving the blanket sample (maybe should call it a throw). The sample was sleyed at 12 ends per inch. (Sleying refers to threading the warp threads through the spaces in the reed, but we don't use the word "threading" because that's reserved for the heddles. Fun stuff weaving terminology!) At 12 ends per inch I felt the pattern came out a little squat: A little too wide for it's height. I decided to try substituting my 8-dent-per-inch reed and sleying it 2 threads per dent.
That results in a warp that is 16-ends-per-inch. Four more per inch than the sample was woven at. It makes the resulting fabric slightly narrower but tighter, so the pattern squares up a bit. I think the new sample (which, as it turns out, is good enough for the actual project so it's no longer just a sample) looks better than the 12/inch I did a few weeks ago. I had to get under the loom to snap this picture because the right side of the fabric (well, actually, it's reversable but I'm referring to the side I like best) is underneath as it is being woven. It looks a tad bit wonky on the loom but that all straightens out when it comes off:
Granny: Another row was crocheted this week and it is currently being attached. Going well, how fun!
Cello: I've been thinking about the difference(s) between learning an instrument as a child and learning one as an adult. I think one of the big differences is that a child is growing as he works the necessary muscles for playing, and one could say his/her main task is to grow. As an adult however--with years of muscle growth not specifically developed for the instrument--the task is to change. I can assure you I have changed since I started cello lessons. My universe has changed.
The car: It is at the garage for inspection and some necessary work. Did I think I'd get by without having to put any money into it? Maybe I did, I certainly hoped so. But I am not in the least surprised that it needs a few tune ups here and there. Still, the total cost of car will be under 5K so I'm ok with that. As long as I don't end up having to put $500 into it every other month! Fingers crossed. He is replacing a ball joint which it needs to pass inspection. Otherwise I gave the go-ahead to replace the rear brake pads and rotors (better safe than sorry), and there is a filter somewhere that needs replacing, and he's cleaning the idler. He also said he would make a prioritized list of work that I might consider having done over the next several months. Sounds good. I was heartened to hear him say that it would last longer than the 3 years I asked him about. The mechanic I bought it from said the same thing.
Packing: I started yesterday. It brings the reality home, let me tell ya. Felt good to get started. I figure if I do 2 or 3 boxes now and then it won't be such a crunch at the end.