Saturday, July 28, 2012

Silk hankies all spun up... and more wool from Ontario....

The silk hankies were quite fun to spin. Very different from drafting wool for sure. More like stretching to size then adding a bit of twist. The results are very pretty. Such a sheen and lovely softness. I got 86 yards of 2-ply yarn (if I include the 16 yard sample, I have just over 100 yards) out of the hankies.

Here are the hankies after they were all drafted out and curled up. One word of caution: the silk fibers cling like crazy--the smallest nick on your hands, fingers or nails will catch the fibers. Also, if you roll up your rovings as I did, be careful uncurling them as they snag into a gnarled mess pretty easily, especially if you're spinning out-of-doors in a breeze. The breeze will carry the silk aloft and it may well tangle up in the process. Ask me how I know!


This is the finished skein, followed by a closer look:


When I went out the door this morning I was greeted with a package. Someone had let the UPS man in. (I sleep late-ish and use ear plugs in the morning hours, so I don't always hear the door bell if it's too early.) It was my order from Wellington Fibres very speedily shipped and delivered. Just put the order in earlier this week! Oooooooooooohhh..... b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l-!-!-! There are several hours of spinning here:



Can you believe all that fibre came in one small little box 11x13.5x7.5 inches? Yes, indeed.

Here are snaps of the fibers up close. Aren't they g-o-r-g-e-o-u-s-!-?

I've already started a bobbin of the turquoise.

Yesterday I found my gift cannas toppled over. Blown over by the high winds the night before. In addition to taking a lie down, it had also opened some blossoms. Beautiful, bright red ones:



Thank you, crafty1!! :)

2 comments:

  1. I love the sheen of your silk hankies, all spun up. And I know what you mean about the silk sticking if your hands aren't ultra smooth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Michele. I read that some sugar and olive oil rubbed into the hands is supposed to help smooth them out for spinning silk. Haven't tried it yet.

    ReplyDelete