Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Tour de Fleece 2012, Days 2, 3 and 4...

Got a little side-tracked Sunday. Put everything on hold to attend a candlelight vigil for Molly Olgin and Mary Chapa, the two lesbians in Texas who were both shot in the head a little over a week ago. Molly was killed and Mary is struggling in a hospital where she has regained consciousness. It was a bit of an impromptu affair put together in just a few days. I'm glad I went. It's good to stay involved, to bring another presence to the stage. Silence = death and so does invisibility. Visibility is important in fighting age old prejudices. Someone took this video of portions of the vigil. (If you look careful, you'll see me in the crowd at about 5:37)... Candlelight vigil.

[pausing for a moment of silence]

* * *

Got back on track with spinning and finished the BFL/Silk blend late last night...

Just like last year, during the work week it's not so easy to get wheel time so I depend on my spindles to get in some twirling. I was given this piece of wool batt recently and have no idea what it is. What I do know is the color is gorgeous! It's a real fun spin on the spindle, the sort of fiber that needs to be pulled and cajoled into spinnable "rovings". This will be my away-from-the-wheel project for the next month.

Tomorrow (Happy Fourth of July!) I would like to start spinning this very red fiber I obtained from Spinner's Hill. I really want to spin a yarn for weaving and it's my aim to try and mimic the thickness and feel of the Harrisville New England Shetland I recently purchased. It's what I wove the twill sampler in. So there's going to be some experimentation with this and I'm excited at the prospect of having some of my own yarn for weaving. Updates to come.

I will be juggling different fibers over the course of Tour de Fleece. This weekend I will start in on the Wellington Fibers "mystery" rovings. Looking foward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment