Saturday, January 26, 2013

Granny squares... who would have thought?...

As it turns out, my next project is a granny square afghan. It's a surprise to me! The idea really did take shape on a spur-of-the-moment whim. I was sitting on the sofa looking across to the newly completed sunflower lap blanket and noting that I really like granny squares, a lot. Comfort craft. Then I remembered a bag of yarn in multiple colors I had purchased for a different project, one which never came to be. So why not crochet a granny square afghan? Why not? I made two of them in my teen years. Maybe that's why I'm so fond of them. Still, their aesthetic appeals to me: simple and functional yet visually satisfying. Nostalgia or aesthetic appreciation? Both, no doubt. Who would have thought I'd be crocheting a granny square afghan? Not me!

Eleven squares down, how many to go? I'm not sure yet.

You'll notice that I'm aiming for cohesion by always working the 3rd round and outside round in the same color. Orange for the 3rd, a heathered brown for the outside. It's a ton of fun swirling my vision about the pile of yarns deciding which ones I'll use for the next square. A blast!

Also, this week I came up with an idea for my next weaving project. It's going to be a bit bigger in scope than my previous projects and I'm really excited about it. It will be done in a techique called Summer & Winter pick-up. Stay tuned! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment