Saturday, April 28, 2012

Knit wise... FO: Brighton Lace Doily

Indeed, the very last row of lace was written incorrectly in the book... I have to admit being glad it's finished! Nothing like the suspense of wondering if worse problems are yet to come along.

But I'm glad I made it and I'm thrilled with the results. I'm even glad to have been challenged and found a way to overcome. It has boosted my confidence I think. I'll post the errors I found at the end of this post in case someone else is having difficulty.

It turned out a very nice 17" x 26.5". The look of it is exactly what I was after. I'm sure my sanity was questioned when I decided to knit a lace piece in a multi-colored, pretty heavily textured yarn. Breaking the rules, oh yes!

It is no surprise to find the lace somewhat obscured by the patterning of the colors and the texture of the yarn. I wanted a doily for the center of the table (or side board) that didn't look too dated. In white crochet thread the doily looks like an antique, which is fine, but not what I wanted. Approaching my doily, from a distance the color draws attention--very pretty colors, and then the texture of the yarn becomes obvious. On closer inspection the lace starts to reveal itself and it takes a good looking at to get a clear sense of the pattern. In a way, I wanted the lace to be part of the texture of this piece, not it's prominent feature. I think it works, and I now have a doily, that to me, looks slightly early 70s'ish retro.



Errata:

Unfortunately I forgot to write down the first mistake I found, but I will go back through the pattern to try to locate it.

The second problem occurred with Rnd 27. As written (emphasis mine):

*+Yo, k2tog, [yo, k1 tbl, yo, SKP, k3, yo, SKP, k1, k2tog, yo, k3, k2tog] twice, yo, k1 tbl, yo, k1, SKP+, [yo, SKP] twice, k5, k2tog, yo, k2tog; [rep between +'s once, yo, k1 tbl] twice; rep from * once more.

To fix this round, drop the k1 that I have bolded--it doesn't fit.

The third problem occurred with Rnd 37. The directions should mention (in my opinion) that the markers which have worked so well up to now should be ignored for this round.

The fourth problem occurred with Rnd 47. As written (emphasis mine):

*Yo, k2tog, yo, k4, inc 1, +inc 1, k5, [yo, SKP] twice, k3, [k2tog, yo] twice, k1, inc 1+, inc 1, k5, yo, SKP, yo, M3; rep from * for each side.

To fix this round, change the bolded k1 to k4.

I'm pretty sure that the first problem occurred with Rnd 17 where there's an SK2P that should be a plain SKP but I'll double check to make sure.

And that leaves me astounded! The problems occurred in rounds 17, 27, 37 and 47!! Coincidence or secret message? I don't know...

No comments:

Post a Comment