Tuesday, April 17, 2012

My life with birds...

Couscous is back with her "tribe". I left the hospital cage door open for her on Sunday morning. It took her less than a minute to make her departure. Her toes did not fully recover, but this was pretty much her condition before this horrible misadventure.

She was a little wobbly for the first 5 minutes of freedom but has adjusted so well that I could not identify her this morning--even upon close inspection. Whatever use of her toes is gone, she is managing well without them.

Her convalescing cage was in the dining room. I just now came back from the dining room on a trip to raid the fridge of some cheese, and passed the cage which is still there. I miss her. We had a standing date every night at 11:30 for the past 2 weeks. I would take her in a towel and scratch her head--they like that--talk to her and comfort her before giving her the doses of succinor and baytril. I think she knew I was trying to help, and now she's back with her family. I'm glad about that, but a little bit sad too. Birds are so sweet up close and personal. Doesn't take long to grow close.

Of course, I don't miss the "heaviness" of the situation and I'm glad the ordeal is over. A weight is lifted. I won't miss having to give her medicine twice a day. But I do miss her a bit.

Sweet, sweet, love birds.

2 comments:

  1. It's interesting that animals can tell when you're trying to help. Our cat Sushi never minded getting insulin shots, either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Michele, my brother had to give his cat insulin shots for years. Wow.

    P.S. I like your cat's name! :)

    ReplyDelete