Sunday, July 17, 2011

Tour de Fleece... day 16

Names. I have yet to disclose the name I chose for the colorway I'm dyeing the wool/silk batts. The colors remind me of raspberries and blueberries. In revolt against "very berry" (no, thank you) I was going to name it something pretentious like "l'apres midi des framboise et bleuets". Instead I've settled on "Parfait".

Today's TDF output is another hank of Parfait, shown here sitting pretty on it's throne:

We had gorgeous weather again (knock on wood!) and I spent a good deal of the day in the back yard. I had a kettle of wool soaking in a vinegar bath as I spun away on the wool/silk. The wool I dyed today was a gift from a student. It is unidentified but comes from a farm somewhere in PA. She gave me some once before and it was good fun to spin up. Last time I spun it up white and dyed the yarn. I thought it would be a learning experience to hand paint these rovings and that's just what I did.

I've named it "Sunset in the mountains". Four colors were used and the mixing of them created some new ones. I especially like the touch the silver brings to it. I cannot wait to start spinning these lovelies:

Speaking of names, several of my birds are named and since names is the sub theme of this post I thought I would mention some of them: CoCo, Pumpkin, Smooch, ChouChou, Peanuts, Smokey, Peaches, Cashew, Couscous, Twinkle, Sunshine and Smidgeon (whom I always call Smidge). I only know a few of them by sight. If it seems to me that such-and-such lovebird looks like Pumpkin then he's Pumpkin for the time being!

No comments:

Post a Comment