Monday, September 16, 2013

No power ...

It finally occurred. Last week. I'd been expecting it since moving here and thought it would have happened already. The cause of it was the severe thunderstorms that came through. Doozies.

The outage was beautiful. I was stocked up on candles and an oil lamp and they provided enough smooth, soft light to tide me over the hour of power failure.

Talk about quiet! No humming, no nothing. Pure absolute quietness.



Funny how the world contracts when means of outside communication are cut off. Neighbors suddenly seem closer, more neighborly, and more necessary. Doesn't it seem that mass media and telecommunications tend to create the illusion that we are less reliant on one another. Question.

It really was nice to have everything turned off. Just me and my existence, the birds, and the neighbors. Oh... and a glass of Pinot Noir.

No comments:

Post a Comment